Saturday 11 February 2017

Vikings


Now into its extended fourth season, the TV show "Vikings" is breathtaking!

As you may know, I rarely watch TV at all anymore. I first became aware of this particular series, when I was living in Queensland about three years ago - and it piqued my interest.


Now, I know it's not "history" - it's TV! It's entertainment - and for that value alone, it's superb! It's based on history, and I'm enjoying the producers attempts at recreating a fascinating long-lost society and it's worldview. It skips over/glances at some pretty significant actual-historical achievements in Viking history - but that's not what the show is based on.

I know it has some pretty gruesome blood'n'guts graphic moments (the Vikings were pretty bloody society!) - that's not why I watch it, either.

It's the characters who capture me! There are some of these actors who should win BAFTAS/Oscars/whatever they should be awarded - simply because they become the characters they portrait!

Travis Fimmel for a start - those eyes! Those little mannerisms! Brilliant character acting! Simply - a breathtaking artist.

Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki - a classic quirky fascinating character, awesomely developed by the actor.

Alex Høgh as Ivar the Boneless - those eyes portray pure evil hatred and blind ambition!

Linus Roache as English King Ecbert of Wessex - absolute power corrupts absolutely - and he knows it!

With the extended fourth season (ie. 'Season Five') almost complete - I await with baited breath how they evolve some of the character's situations. There's some awesome intrigue, scandal, power-plays - all classic human interactions, that create some classic dramatic hooks.

I think it's one of those series that could, in theory, go on almost forever... as, of course, one of the character's distant future relatives is our own Queen Elizabeth II - yes, really! (One of Rollo's great-great-great-grandchildren was William the Conqueror. Through William, Rollo is one of the ancestors of the present-day British royal family, as well as an ancestor of all current European monarchs and a great many claimants to abolished European thrones!!!)

I'd rate this 9.5 / 10 👌👍



Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment