Wednesday 30 August 2023

Foot Drop and Balance Issues



My MS is also affecting my left foot (c.1 walking step in 10, my left foot doesn't 'rise' as well as it should)... sometimes, I seem to "roll" as I walk! It's called "Foot Drop". It is very random and unpredictable. And no, I'm not drunk!

✨ It feels like my left foot gets stuck in the mud (randomly during walking), and I have to psychically pull it out to keep walking. 

(Thanks to @makkydoll for the quote)

"Foot Drop" is characterized by a stepped walking gait. While walking, you may drag your toes on the ground, or bend your knee to lift your foot higher than usual, to avoid dragging. Other walking gaits such as a wide outward leg swing may also indicate foot drop.



►  ArticleFoot Drop in MS



Now I understand why some people pre-MS-diagnosis are simply thought to be "drunk", because of the way they walk - that's what happened to the Faces bass player, Ronnie Lane!

It's only a very slight/mild thing, really, the way it's affecting me. I've noticed I don't walk as fast as I use to (down the street, I mean)... My days of either being bare-foot or wearing just thongs/flip-flops (when I'm out) are now a thing of the past. It's pure habit wearing thongs/flip-flops... I think I just need to throw them out! I haven't tripped, but because I'm much more aware of my walking, I don't want poorly-chosen footwear to be a reason for a fall, either!


► Videos: Exercises to Help Manage Foot Drop



Two phase stretching: this will help those of you with Foot Drop 
Source: The MS Gym


Eversion
In today’s movement skill practice, we’re going on improving ANKLE EVERSION – moving your foot to the OUTSIDE in order to counteract foot drop with toe out.
Source: The MS Gym







Balance Issues

My sense of balance is out as well... if I stand still, I will sway very slightly - no, I am not drunk. I have to sit down to do anything. Combined with my Foot Drop, this affects how long I am able to stand/walk/move effectively for a given period. 

From now on, I'll use a walking stick or walker on my long walking journeys (ie. around town) - along with the occasional weird balance loss, it's a good backup, "just in case" - so I do not fall over when I walk/move. Around the home/garden etc isn't a problem for me. Plus with my occasional slight loss of balance, this will help give me a little bit more confidence to get around.

I've found I now walk a whole lot more slowly than I used to - and that's OK.

Grocery shopping is also OK for me, as I can use the shopping trolley I'm pushing to act as a 'support' in a sudden 'weird' feeling.


It's still all very new to me, this whole MS journey... every day/week sees new insights into how it's affecting me... maybe even possibly for years prior, unknowingly!


I think I've noticed the whole walking thing, as now I'm more aware of some different MS symptoms - and my neurologist agrees with me about it.

I had a random thought/memory a few months ago... when I was c.19, I fell flat on my face after tripping for no apparent reason, simply walking during a soccer game... might have been foot drop way back then? Who knows?


►  Article: The Effects of MS on Balance (pdf)

►  Article: Balance and Walking


►  Article: Balance & MS









Bookmark this page: MS Footdrop and Balance Issues
Also: Footdrop

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

2 comments:

  1. I love this info that you have provided. It's very accurate and interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Just trying to help someone with their MS Journey.

      Delete