Sunday 24 March 2024

Sleeplessness SUX


Insomnia and sleeplessness SUX!



I don't always sleep well. Yes, it's an MS symptom! I may only get 3-hour sleep breaks here and there... it's only about one day in three/four that I manage to grab c. six-ish hours straight. It's frustrating in the fact that, as a young man, I used to sleep 8-9 hours straight through (and like a log!), no worries at all.

I miss not being able just to quickly drop off into sleep anymore (I used to be able to, but not now, it seems). Lately, it takes me up to an hour to fall asleep. My random (painless) MS leg twitches, when I first lay down, keep waking me up!

It's not that I'm stressed or upset, there's nothing wrong nor troubling me, or that my mind is ticking over or I'm overthinking - nothing like that. I'm just finding that once I wake up after a c.3-hour sleep - I'm wide awake! I've tried different things in an attempt to fall back to sleep. I'm just one of those people who does not like just 'laying there', waiting for sleep to come. So - I get up! I may read a bit, or watch a bit of a DVD, or surf a bit - especially if it's in the middle of the night (as so often happens!) I'm not going to get domestic and make a lot of noise at that time of day - that's not fair on my neighbours.

Sometimes, I also feel extremely fatigued... the sort of mental and physical tiredness/weariness/exhaustion that doesn't necessarily go away after a good sleep.

These "disrupted sleep patterns" are symptoms of both my Bi-Polar and MS - well done, Mal! D'oh! Trust me...





► "AWAKE"
A film exploring the link between insomnia, mental health and MS


➽ The catch-22 is... I'd really just love to sit, chat and hang out with friends... but seriously, who else is wide awake and up at this time of day (ie. middle of the night)?!?

➽ I'm finding Twitter a MUCH better and helpfully productive and wise resource at this time of day... Facebook just feels too full of pointless information for me at the moment... & too many trolls.






Watch this video: "Sleep Disorders in MS"


➽► Blog: "It's 1am, so..."

➽► Article: "Poor Sleep"







💥 Good sleep habits for beating insomnia ðŸ’¥ 

Good sleep habits, also called sleep hygiene, can help you get a good night’s sleep and beat insomnia. Here are some tips:
  • Try to go to sleep at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning.
  • Try not to take naps during the day because naps may make you less sleepy at night.
  • Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol late in the day. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants and can keep you from falling asleep. Alcohol can cause waking in the night and interferes with sleep quality.
  • Take regular exercise. Try not to exercise close to bedtime because it may stimulate you and make it hard to fall asleep. Experts suggest not exercising within four hours of going to bed.
  • Do not eat a heavy meal late in the day. A light snack before bedtime, however, may help you sleep.
  • Make your bedroom comfortable. Be sure that it is dark, quiet and not too warm or too cold. If the light is a problem, try a sleeping mask. If noise is a problem, try earplugs, a fan or a “white noise” machine to cover up the sounds.
  • Follow a routine to help you relax before sleep. Read a book, listen to music or have a bath.
  • Avoid using your bed for anything other than sleep or sex.
  • If you cannot fall asleep and do not feel drowsy, get up and read or do something that is not overly stimulating until you feel sleepy.
  • If you find yourself lying awake worrying about things, try making a to-do list before you go to bed. This may help you not focus on those worries overnight.
  • I’m sure if you have suffered from insomnia for a long period you have already tried all of the above. These tips helped me but definitely haven’t cured my insomnia.









Bookmark this page: MS Insomnia SUX!

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

4 comments:

  1. I had a sleep study done as I know I have a sleep disorder. Turns out I have sleep apnea and also tachycardia. I took Nuvigil for the fatigue a number of years ago and being I now have a DX of sleep apnea, I will once again be able to get Nuvigil for the awful fatigue I suffer from due to the MS. I hope it still works as it is now a generic. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, it always seems to come down to a case of "Who Knows"... and it's bloody frustrating, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Good one. I have never been able to explain fatigue to people who haven't experienced it.

    No, I'm not sleepy, I'm just too exhausted to keep my eyes open. No, a nap or a good night's sleep won't fix this.

    ReplyDelete