Tuesday 8 August 2023

MS and Depression




Imagine being so clinically depressed, that you cannot practically function, let alone get out of bed... that's one of my MS symptoms. In association with my pre-existing Bi-Polar Depression, this randomly prevents me from participating in life.

And - depression is not just "feeling sad"...

Not practically functioning includes... the inability to shower/personal hygiene daily, to wash clothes, dishes, vacuum, change bedding, normal domestics... unable to find the positive motivation to do anything that would normally bring me pleasure, self-satisfaction and enjoyment.

Somedays I cannot get out of bed. Yes, honestly.

I can't always stop/prevent it, nor always pinpoint a 'trigger'.

It's not like that all the time, thankfully, but it can strike so randomly, which is why it's so frustrating.

It's very isolating, and I know that most people simply cannot fathom what it must be like.

While, yes, it is 'all in my head'... no, I'm not making this stuff up for attention etc. It's very real, powerful and debilitating while in the midst of it.




► Article: "Depression and MS" (pdf)


► Article: Depression and MS





Bookmark this page: MS & Depression

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

2 comments:

  1. I can't pretend to understand. I have seen and know people who are overwhelmed by depression though. Wise words are of no help, least of all 'buck up'. Medication can work but it takes time to get doses right and there can be other side effects. I don't think I have ever suffered from depression. That's not a brag, just a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrew. Yes, it's bloody hard to explain, I admit it.
    https://team-gherkin.blogspot.com/2021/09/bi-polar-depression.html

    ReplyDelete